COVID-19 Booster Shot
October 22nd, 2021
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices) has approved Pfizer, Moderna and J&J booster shots. Beaufort County Health Department will begin offering the boosters as soon as the State Guidance is received. We anticipate administering booster shots in a drive-thru setting as early as Thursday, November 4th, 2021. Appointments will be required and can be made at the Beaufort County Health Department website or by calling 252-940-6150 starting at 9:00 am on Wednesday, October 27th, 2021.
What You Need To Know
• Pfizer and Moderna must be administered at least 6 months after your last administered COVID vaccine dose.
• J&J must be administered at least 2 months after last administered COVID vaccine dose.
• Pfizer booster shot is the same amount (.5mL) as the first 2 series shots.
• Moderna booster shot is ½ the amount (.25mL) as the first 2 series shots.
• J&J booster shot is the same amount (.5mL) as the first shot.
• The FDA, CDC and ACIP have also granted approval for recipients to mix and match booster vaccines in comparison to the original vaccine series received if they so choose. However, Beaufort County’s Health Department will not mix and match vaccines until state guidance is released.
* The Health Department does not make individual recommendations about mixing and matching vaccines. Individuals should discuss options with their medical provider. *
Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 Recipients
Individuals who received a Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine and meet the following criteria are eligible for a booster shot at 6 months or more after receiving the 2nd shot of the initial two shot vaccine series.
• 65 years and older.
• Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings.
• Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions.
• Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings .
Johnson & Johnson (J&J) COVID-19 Vaccine Recipients
Individuals 18+ years of age or older who received a J&J COVID-19 vaccine are now eligible for a booster shot if it has been at least 2 months or more after receiving the initial vaccine shot.
Currently, there has not been approval of vaccines for children ages 5-11. We will continue to update everyone as soon as more details are released.
James Madson, RN, MPH Health Director